The Anne Arundel County track and field championships were held over two days at Severna Park High School on May 8 and 9, and a handful of Northeast and Chesapeake athletes delivered standout performances for their teams.
No one dominated the meet quite like Northeast’s Christal Pommells.
A sophomore, Pommells eliminated any question over who is the fastest girl in the county with championship races in the 100, 200, 400 and a team championship in the 4x100. Pommells captured the 100-meter dash county championship with a time of 12.73 seconds; teammate Kamryn Johnson placed fourth in the same event in 13.2 seconds. In the 200, Pommells won the county championship with a time of 25.63 seconds; Johnson was sixth in 26.94 seconds. Pommells bested the field again with another championship in the 400, running the race in 57.7 seconds. Pommells was also a member of Northeast’s 4x100 team that won first place along with Johnson, Dae’Jour Long and Somorha Smith.
Josh Krcik also captured an individual county championship for the Eagles, winning the 300 hurdles in 40.11 seconds. Krcik took to the field as well, placing second in long jump with a jump of 20 feet, 8.75 inches. Shawn Tyler placed third in the 110-meter hurdles in 16.46 seconds and was eighth in the 300 hurdles. Thomas Gargano captured a point with an eighth-place finish in pole vault. Aiden Harvey captured a point with an eighth-place finish in triple jump, leaping 38 feet, 5.5 inches.
Chesapeake saw one individual county champion and several additional point-scoring performances. On the girls side, Maryia Hrytsyshyna became the county champion in high jump, clearing 5 feet flat. Samantha Leo was third in the same event, clearing 4 feet, 10 inches, and Leo was also fifth in triple jump. Jazney Grady placed sixth in the 100-meter dash. Baily Healy placed eighth in the 1600-meter run in 5 minutes, 31.15 seconds. Erin Hulburt placed eighth in the 400. Ashley Chew placed fifth in long jump, jumping 15 feet. Sarah Cuttler was seventh in shot put.
Sam Adams was seventh in the 800. Anthony Marcic was seventh in pole vault.
Chesapeake assistant coach Kate Stambaugh provided the Pasadena Voice with a more full and comprehensive write-up on the performance of the Cougar track and field athletes at counties:
The AACPS County Championships were held at Severna Park on May 8th and 9th. Chesapeake and Northeast are both 3A schools in a county full of 4A powerhouses, which makes Counties one of our toughest meets all season. We are very proud of these athletes and how hard they have worked this season. See below for the standout performances by CHS athletes at counties.
CHS notable performances at Counties:
- Sophomore Maryia Hrytsyshyna is the Girls High Jump county champion by clearing 5'0" and taking 1st place. Her teammate and fellow Sophomore Samantha Leo took 3rd place in Girls High Jump by clearing 4'10". Both girls did not miss any jumps until 5', which is an impressive performance in High Jump. Samantha Leo also came in 5th in the Girls Triple Jump.
- The Boys 4x800m Relay team took 4th place in the county. The team was comprised of Samuel Adams, Garrett Bivens, Brennan Penafiel, and John Yayi-Bondje.
- We had three athletes who placed in every event in which they competed: Ashley Chew (5th in Girls Long Jump, 5th in Girls 4x800m Relay, and 7th in Girls 4x400m Relay), Bailey Healy (5th in Girls 4x800m Relay, 7th in Girls 4x400m Relay, and 8th in Girls 1600m run), Samantha Leo (3rd in Girls High Jump, 5th in Girls Triple Jump, 7th in Girls 4x400m Relay), and Samuel Adams (4th in Boys 4x800m Relay, 6th in Boys 4x400m Relay, and 8th in Boys 800m run)
- Jazney Grady battled her way to finish 6th place in the Girls 100m Dash after qualifying for finals at 10th place in the prelims. She is the first CHS sprinter to be a top 8 finisher in short sprints all season.
Other CHS Top 8 Finishes:
- 5th place in Girls 4x800m Relay: Ashley Chew, Leah Evans, Mason Frechtel, Bailey Healy
- 5th place in Girls Long Jump: Ashley Chew
- 5th place in Girls Triple Jump: Samantha Leo
- 6th place in Boys 4x400m Relay: Samuel Adams, Nick Liu, Eric Taylor, John Yayi-Bondje
- 7th place in Girls 4x400m Relay: Brooke Brewis, Ashley Chew, Samantha Leo, Bailey Healy
- 7th place in Girls Shot Put: Sarah Cuttler
- 7th place in Boys 800m Run: Samuel Adams
- 7th place in Boys Pole Vault: Anthony Marcic
- 8th place in Girls 400m Dash: Erin Hulburt
- 8th place in Girls 1600m Run: Bailey Healy
- 8th place in Girls 4x100m Relay: Amber Brisbane, Jazney Grady, Maddie Gray, Timeya Jordan
- 8th place in Boys 4x100m Relay: Marcus Hughes, Nick Liu, Anthony Marcic, Raphael Smith
In addition to those listed here, many of our athletes beat their own personal records this week at the County Championships and the Last Chance Meet.